Monday, February 25, 2013

IN Lifestyle


Passionate foodie, storm chaser, Turkish soap star and hard hitting journalist are just some of the talents Sally Ayhan brings to her new role as Channel Nine’s weather presenter and reporter.

While some of these talents – Turkish soap star experience included – have been left in the past, the adventurous Ayhan brings a vibrancy and warmth to the Channel Nine team.

We asked Ms Ayhan what she thought of her newfound hometown.

“I love it,” said Ms Ayhan.

“I’ve got a real outdoor lifestyle so it suits me to a tee.”

As a weather presenter with years of forecasting experience, it’s not surprising that Ms Ayhan turns the conversation to weather.

“I must admit I was a little bit nervous about the weather before I came over because even though I’m a weather presenter, I’d see 35 degrees and think oh my gosh how am I going to manage that heat,” she said.

“It’s actually so much more bearable because it’s dry, beautiful fresh clear mornings, rather than the humidity of Sydney.”

When asked whether she would consider buying in Perth, Ms Ayhan does not rule out the option.

“I was thinking of buying in the Freo area at some point, but I’m not sure.”

Fremantle is a much-loved area for the reporter who also frequents Mount Lawley and Leederville.

“I love the farmers markets and I’m a big fan of community events, festivals and things like that,” she said.

“So I guess the inner hippy in me is drawn to Freo, but I’m attracted to any place with a community buzz.”

Ms Ayhan’s appreciation for vibrant, cultural hubs may go someway to explaining why she chose Bondi as the location for the Sydney restaurant she opened recently with her husband. Sefa Kitchen serves Middle Eastern fare with a modern twist.

With a new restaurant and a widely read blog called The Food Anthropologist, Ms Ayhan’s passion for food is more than the usual My Kitchen Rules’ fan, a passion she blames on her husband whom she met in Melbourne ten years ago.

“We tended to bond over food and he would teach me about cooking traditions, Turkish breakfast was a big deal for us,” she said.

“I think over the years I learned a passion by osmosis and really enjoyed the pleasures of sharing food, not just eating it.”

After finishing her studies in Turkey, Ms Ayhan became feature writer at a Turkish magazine. But thanks to limited work opportunities for people who could not speak fluent Turkish, Ms Ayhan explored less conventional work.

“I appeared in the odd soap opera and commercial in between my journalism work,” she said.

“It was a little bit intense for my liking – a lot of dramatic people, famous actors getting fantastic treatment but perhaps not quite appreciating it.”

When asked how her soap opera stint compares to Channel Nine, Ms Ayhan laughs good-naturedly.

“Channel Nine is much more exciting!” she said.

“I have a lot more freedom to create my own work and do journalism as well as presenting the weather, so it’s multi-faceted and a great role for that reason.”

As a multi-talented woman for all seasons, we couldn’t help but ask Ms Ayhan, summer or winter?

“Spring,” quips Ms Ayhan with a laugh.

“I do love my sunshine, but I also love the freshness of the morning.”

For a reporter who pleasantly refuses to fit into most boxes, it’s no surprise her answer doesn’t either.

Watch Ms Ayhan present the weather week nights on Channel Nine and check out her blog at www.thefoodanthropologist.com.

No comments:

Post a Comment